Friday, January 16, 2009

day #4

Oh boy, what a night!
...but one step at a time. First I had some very interesting moments during the day. 
One of my concerns before entering the experiment was that I become a impatient and angry mother to my 2 children Almaith (5.5 years) and Aodhan (4.5 years). Yesterday I had a situation which put it to test. In the evening on our way home from the grocery store Aodhan for some reason set his mind on wanting a car...now! This I-WANT-NOW is something that pushes my buttons very much. Usually I try to explain for some time why it is not going to happen and if this doesn't work I snap and get very angry..... Yesterday however I was able to walk a different path. Maybe I was too tired to get angry but I just didn't buy into his whining in any way even though he was very persistent with it. I kept talking calmly to him and in the moment when I usually snap, I stopped in the middle of the sidewalk and gave him a long hug instead!
If polyphasic sleeping affects me in this way permanently, I will be pretty happy!!
We will see about it, when Almaith comes back tomorrow from her school trip week. (One of the main reasons I chose this time in space to start the experiment was a week with only 1 child).

So the day was pretty good and besides one or two stomach ache attacks I felt good. But the night was very exhausting. 
I made it to the 2h nap with happily dancing in slow motion while tidying a drawer. I could have gone on but I laid down in time. 
After half an hour I woke up so out of it and extremely tired. Somehow I made it an other hour and decided to throw in another nap. What happened after that I don't really know. For 3  hours it was one big fight with sleep and trying to wake up and dreaming about waking up and so on.... not very pleasant at all. 
Lately it happens frequently that I wake up tired. Maybe half hour is not the right time anymore. In the beginning of the experiment I woke up most of the time by myself after 20 min. Since 2 days however I always sleep a full half hour until the alarm goes off.
And lately after a good phase I don't want to lay down out of fear for how I will wake up. I think I will experiment more with shortening the nap time a few minutes. It might be that after adapting to entering the REM right away, half hour might be too long and I go beyond REM into a deep sleep phase.

No comments:

Post a Comment